Tuesday 1 November 2011

Radar Love - Planning - Comparing with 'Foo Fighters'

As we had already established that the shots of the instruments were of particular importance, we then had to decide as to what shots we were going to use. Since I was not aware of the song and it's music video before being set the task, we felt that we needed to compare it with another music video, to see if there were any trends that were noticeable in the shots used.

The video that I chose to compare was one of a similar genre, but far more modern -
Foo Fighters 'All my Life'.

I thought it was particularly interesting to comparing given the timespan in difference between the music videos being released. 'All my Life' was made in the early 2000's while 'Radar Love' was released in 1973.
                                                      
Shot from 'Golden Earring' by Radar Love.
This is an example of one of the shots I found quite interesting. The shot directly to the left is from the 'Radar Love' video, while the shot below is from the 'Foo Fighters' video. In the case of both shots, the camera is at a low-angle, while at the same time is also at a diagonal, so as to give the audience a clear view of the fretboard.



I found it interesting how the shots were almost identical despite there being such a timespan between the two videos.
Shot from 'All my Life' by Foo Fighters

Instead of just being a regular shot, I felt that the tilt with the camera really fits the themes of both music videos.

As both music videos are of the rock genre, I felt that they managed to successfully get across the idea of 'mayhem' to their audience, something of which is very much typical of the rock genre.
As a result, we realised that in order to meet the conventions of the genre of our video 'Rock', we needed to use shots of a similar nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment