Thursday 20 October 2011

Comparison of Michael Buble and Tom Jones video



In class, we were asked to compare two music videos either in terms of genre or in terms of form (in this case, performance). The two videos that I have chosen to compare are similar in terms of genre (both videos have themes of jazz and pop) and form (both are performance). The genre and form of these two videos are somewhat similar to those of which we plan to do for our final task. When comparing the videos, I noticed a number of similarities, despite the gap in which the two songs were recorded.

- Both singers have similar costume (white shirt and suit)
- Both have the similar stances (they are the focal point in the frame)
- The background to both videos is simplistic (lighting in the 'Cry me a River' video is the only notable difference).
- There is only really a variety of shots in the 'Cry me a River' video.
- There are no accompanying instruments.
- There is no evidence of narrative in either video

Both of these videos are all performance in terms of their form, which is why they were useful to compare as that is the form of which we have made the decision to choose for our final task. I think that while they were both all performance, the 'Cry me a River' video was perhaps more similar to the type of video of which we were want to produce (as it used a variety of shots). In addition, I liked the idea of the lighting in the 'Cry me a River' video as although it was simplistic, I feel that it gave the video and the singer a sense of professionalism that perhaps the Tom Jones video, from the 1970's, lacked.  


No comments:

Post a Comment